The shield has three essential elements that distinguishes it as a Catholic School with a Special Character inclusive of Christian values.
– Jesus Christ the Saviour to whom all else leads and who leads all people to God.
– His Mother Mary, the ‘Stella Maris’ (Star of the Sea) and ‘Stella Matutina’ (Morning Star) point the way to Him.
– ‘Stella Maris’ – the star by which sailors navigated.
– ‘Stella Matutina’ – the first star of morning that proclaims the night is over and daylight has come.
– The Church journeying through time proclaiming the truth of Christ to all ages and climates.
– In this instance, Bishop Pompallier and the early missionaries bringing the Faith to the South Pacific.’
– The sisters of the Mission and the Mercy Sisters who travelled from France and Ireland. Both congregations taught in our school.
– The early settlers who arrived in Howick by sailing ship.