Parents are invited to enrol their children at Our Lady Star of the Sea School. Preference is given to children who are baptised Catholic. To enrol at Our Lady Star of the Sea School you are required to provide the following:
- A completed enrolment form signed by both parents.
- A Preference Certificate signed by a Catholic Priest and stamped with a parish stamp.
- Original birth certificate or passport.
- Original baptism certificate.
- A passport must be sighted showing the residency status of a child who is born outside of New Zealand
- Immunisation certificate
Once the forms have been completed they must be returned to the School Office together with any original documents. The documents will be sighted and photocopied where necessary. Your child will be placed on the waiting list. Once your child has been accepted to start at Our Lady Star of the Sea School, a meeting and pre-school visits will be arranged with the Deputy Principal to ensure a smooth transition into school.
A preference card, signed by the Parish Priest, must be received by the school for each child wishing to enrol. Appointments with our Parish Priest can be made by contacting the Parish Secretary on (09) 534-8710.
Preference and Non-Preference Enrolment Information for Parents Seeking Enrolment at Our Lady Star of the Sea School. Under the Integration Act (1975) Star of the Sea School has a maximum roll of 600 pupils at primary level, from New Entrants to Year 6. The School can accept up to a maximum of 5%  non-preference children if places are available after all preference children are accepted.
1. State Integrated schools select preference students on the following grounds:
A] The agent for determining preference are the listed Agents of the Bishop, who may sign the Certificate on his Behalf:
a) Parish Priest of their Parish of Residence
b) Assistant Priest of their Parish of Residence
c) Priests appointed under c. 517/1
d) Deacons and lay persons appointed to pastoral care under c. 517/2
e) Ethnic chaplains who liaise with Parish Priests or their delegate
f) Local committees appointed by the Bishop or by any of the above agents of
B] The grounds for preference are:
Criteria for Preference of Enrolment in Integrated Catholic Schools
- The child has been baptised or is being prepared for Baptism in the Catholic Church.
- The child’s parents/guardians have already allowed one or more of its siblings to be baptised in
the Catholic faith.
- At least one parent/guardian is a Catholic, and although their child has not yet been baptised,
the child’s participation in the life of the school could lead to the parents having the child baptised.
- With the agreement of the child’s parent/guardian, a significant familial adult in the child’s life, such as a grandparent or an aunt or uncle undertakes to support the child’s formation the faith and practices of the Catholic Church.
- One or both of a child’s non-Catholic parents/guardians is preparing to become a Catholic.
2. State Integrated schools have places for non preference students.
a) This school has a maximum of 30 places.
b) There are currently 0 places likely to be available in this 2020 year.
c) The school is now at 100% of its maximum non preference roll and no non-preference places are likely until 2022.
d) Non-Preference places criteria
i. The applicants accept that they will be attending a school of special character and that their place in the school is conditional on their participating in the programme.
ii. The applicants accept that they will be required to pay attendance dues as set by the proprietor and these are not voluntary.
e) Non-Preference criteria that apply to this school will be a combination of the following and at the discretion of the Principal.
Siblings of non-preference students already in the school; family’s willingness to support the values and Special Character of school; association with the school (recommendations from within the school community, ties with the school community, proximity to the school); time the enrolment has been on file; whether siblings to come in subsequent years would put non preference numbers above our 5% of total roll threshold
f) Non-Preference students who cannot enrol immediately may choose to be placed on a Waiting List. Students on this list are wait listed in date and will be contacted if places become available. Acceptance is at the discretion of the Principal.
Click here to make a provisional enrolment for your child through the Parent Portal.